Day #8: The End of Absence
Today is about nothing.
When I say nothing, I mean an absence. You likely don’t remember but correct me if you do, that there was a time before constant connectivity and the internet.
“Soon enough, nobody will remember life before the Internet. What does this unavoidable fact mean? Those of us who have lived both with and without the crowded connectivity of online life have a rare opportunity. We can still recognize the difference between Before and After. We catch ourselves idly reaching for our phones at the bus stop. Or we notice how, mid-conversation, a fumbling friend dives into the perfect recall of Google. Amid all the changes we’re experiencing, the most interesting is the end of absence – the loss of lack. The daydreaming silences in our lives are filled; the burning solitudes are extinguished. There’s no true “free time” when you carry a smartphone. Today’s rarest commodity is the chance to be alone with your thoughts.” – Michael Harris.
Harris has a point, which is powerfully explored in his book, The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection. We have lost the sense of timelessness. When I was younger, pre-internet, the summer days were long and without end. Or, at least, that was my perception of them.
Now we seem to be attached to our smartphones constantly. This is a problem.
The question is simple: do we own our technology, or does it own us?
Watch Simon Sinek break it down:
And see Michael Harris himself come to some conclusions:
So my questions to you today:
Should there be regulation regarding technology such as cell phones? Should there be age requirements? Should there be bans on cell phones in certain places? Plus, can you think of another technology that also has changed the way that we live and communicate, other than a cell phone?
“400” words, please
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
1. Click on the “Place order tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
Need this assignment or any other paper?
Click here and claim 25% off
Discount code SAVE25